The only gun control we need is education. Gun safety when taught to children at a young age carries over into adulthood.
My grandfather started teaching me gun safety at a very early age. I can't recall the exact age but I know it was earlier than 10 years. I used to put on his pistol belt with a Colt 1911 (unloaded of course) and run around the house playing Army.
He taught me to always point the gun in a safe direction and never at anything or anyone I wasn't planning on shooting.
He taught me that if I must shoot another human, shoot to kill.
After instilling safety in me, he believed it was time to take me to the range. The first gun I ever shot was his High Standard .22 pistol. In one of our next visits to the range I was upgraded to his Walther PPK .380. The gun I wanted most to shoot though was that Colt 1911 but he didn't think I was ready to handle the recoil yet.
After much begging and pleading, I was allowed to shot that coveted weapon. This was the gun that just a couple years earlier I had played Army with and now I was being allowed to actually shoot it. It was a fantastic day at the range. I don't remember if I actually hit the target or not with my first few shots but that wasn't important, all that mattered was I could handle shooting "the big gun".
Not too long after that, I graduated to a shotgun and my very first time skeet shooting I got a perfect score. On my 14th birthday, the Winchester model 50 20ga that I had used that first time was given to me as a present by him. At 14 years old I was now a gun owner. I had a shotgun in my closet and always had a box of shells at hand just in case.
I still have that Winchester today. There are only 2 ways it will ever leave my possession: When they pry it from my cold dead hands or I pass it down to my son or grandson.
No comments:
Post a Comment